What is Acidity ?
Acidity is generally caused by a lack of balance between the system of secretion of acid in the stomach, and protective system which ensures the stomach’s defence. The stomach naturally secretes acidic fluid that aids in the digestive process. But when the stomach over-produces the acid, using glands present within, it results in the condition known as acidity. Acidity is also referred to as hyperacidity.
Acidity Causes :
- Consumption of rich and spicy foods
- Eating speedily, without proper chewing
- Eating hurriedly while being in stress
- Inappropriate sleep
- Alcohol utilization
- Pregnant women may undergo because when the baby grows, the uterus exerts force on the digestive area
- Overweight people may bear unnecessary pressure on their digestive tract.
Acidity Symptoms :
- burning pain in your stomach.
- Throat dryness.
- Unbearable stomach pain.
- Feeling hungry frequently.
- Chest pain hours after a meal
- Constant pain in the upper abdomen.
- Prolonged heartburn.
Acidity Prevention :
- Make an effort to spot those foods that increase stomach acid. Spicy, salty and acidic stuff should be avoided.
- Smoking and alcohol intake needs to be reduced to keep stomach acid levels in the stomach and esophagus in balance.
- Stay clear of stressful situations, and include relaxing techniques in your life, especially if you are a nervous and emotional person or have a high-stress job. It can go a long way in preventing excess stomach acid and ulcers.
- Avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These drugs may predispose a person to excess stomach acid.
- Avoid non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These drugs may drive a person towards excess stomach acid.
- Have regular meals and a healthy diet.
- Be careful whie lifting weights, as this puts the abdominal region under strain and can cause digestive problems.
- If you are experiencing too much stomach acid, try having a glass of fat-free or low-fat milk to help neutralize the pH in your stomach.
Acidity Home Remedies :
- Buttermilk : Drink plenty of buttermilk, if possible, for 2 days. It is a very useful home remedy for acidity.
- Curd : Try eating curd rice at least once a day as it keeps acidity at bay.
- Lassi : For instant respite have one glass of indian 'Lassi'.
- Throw out: If suffering from excessive acidity, drink 1-2 liters of luke warm water, with a pinch of salt, on the morning empty stomach and try to vomit as much as possible. Afterwards, you may have sourness in the mouth which results from throwing away the acid.
- Wet cloth: Place a wet cloth on the stomach, covering the navel, for a couple of hours to relieve the acidity.
- Milk : Having half a glass of cold milk provides a cooling effect on the digestive region.
- Mint (pudina) : Its juice is an effective remedy for acidity.
- Coconut : Soothing coconut water taken on empty stomach alleviates acidity. Daily use for a few months can bring permanent relief.
- Ice-cream : Having a plain ice-cream (not the flavored ones) gives quick relief from acidity.
- Falsa : Drinking falsa (grewia subinaequalis) juice, or eating it, is a nice remedy to treat acidity and improve digestion.
- Clove (laung) : Having one clove (laung) after every mealhelps in getting rid of acidity.
- Ash gourd : Drink ash gourd (petha) juice on empty stomach. It overcomes hyper acidity and cures ulcers.
- Banana : Banana creates a good coating on the inside layers of the stomach, proves to be a great remedy for acidity.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla) : It should be taken with an equal amount of sugar-candy (Mishri). It is a nice remedy for acidity.
- Potato : Potato comprises of potassium salt which cuts down the stomach acid. Eating boiled potatoes assists in reducing acidity.
- Jaggery or Raisin : Sucking on a little piece of jaggery (Gur) or having some Raisins (Kishmish) gives fast relief from acidity.
- Basil leaves (tulsi) : Having a few basil leaves (tulsi) in the morning helps to reduce acidity.
- Lemon : Lemon juice in warm water taken one hour before meals helps to diminish acidity. Lemon has potassium which reduces acid and brings about smooth digestion.
- Cumin seeds (Jeera), coriander (Dhania), Sugar candy (Mishri) : Powdered in equal quantities and taken two spoons twice a day helps to decrease acidity.
- Black pepper : Take half a spoon of black pepper powder (kali mirch) with rock salt twice a day, and get relief from acidity.
- Vajrasan : Sitting for 5 minutes in the yoga posture of vajrasan (the ankle posture), after every meal, helps to get respite from acidity.
- Harad : Eating harad (Haritaki, Terminalia chebula) routinely brings relief from acidity.
- Carom seeds (ajwain) : A spoonful of grinded carom seeds (ajwain) mixed with a spoon of lemon juice taken with a glass of water keeps the acidity away.
- Carrot : Drinking Carrot juice, or eating raw carrot routinely, alleviates acidity.
- Bael : Drinking bael juice consistently brings a cooling effect and decreases acidity.
- Banana :Eating banana, along with a pinch of cardamom (elaichi) powder, helps treating acidity.