Home Remedies for Dry Cough: A cough that does not bring up any phlegm or mucus is a dry cough. A dry cough occasionally is no cause of concern, but a cough that is persistent needs to be diagnosed. A cough that lasts for more than 8 weeks is termed as chronic cough. Here are some of the causes of dry cough.
- Asthma can be one of the causes of dry cough. This condition leads to the inflammation of the airways in the lungs. Presently there is no cure for this condition but there are specific treatments that manage the symptoms.
- IPF or Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis can also cause dry cough. In this condition, there is the development of scar tissue inside the lungs.
- Post- Nasal Drip is the mucus of the nose dripping down the back of your throat.
- Colds and flu can also lead to a dry cough.
- Marshmallow Root:
These marshmallow roots have been used for decades for treating sore throat. The consistency is gooey which coats the throat which is irritated and the flavonoids help in relieving the inflammation.
The curcumin present in turmeric is beneficial when you are suffering from a dry cough. This compound is not only antibacterial but also anti-viral and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Gilroy Juice:
2 tablespoons of Gilroy juice consumed every morning helps in offering some relief from a chronic cough. This juice needs to be mixed with water. This is good for building your immunity and also balances the doshas. As this juice works as an anti-allergic is can help in dealing with the dry cough.
- Black Pepper:
Mix ½ teaspoon of black pepper with a little of pure ghee. This needs to be had on a full stomach. The congestion is cleared as this mixture has a heating quality. This can be had 2 to 3 times a day.
Ginger not only boosts the immune system but also has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. This can be had mixed with tea or you can even have ginger juice. For the juice, grate a small piece of ginger and take out the juice. Mix a tablespoon of honey and have this 2 to 3 times in a day.
Other Home Remedies:
Some natural tips adopted can also help you in getting the required relief from the dry cough.
- Dry air tends to aggravate dry cough. You can use a humidifier in your room for the required moisture.
- Add some eucalyptus oil to an inhaler and inhale from this for the required relief.
- Salt can kill the bacteria in the throat and the mouth. Warm a glass of water and put 1 tablespoon of salt in this. You can gargle with this 2 to 3 times a day.
It is advisable to consult a doctor if you experience a feeling of something stuck in your throat if you are wheezing, trouble swallowing or experience shortness of breath. The best way to reduce the severity of a dry cough is to treat the underlying condition.
Read more articles.